Zachary asked if
he could make pancakes. I was all for an easy meal of pancakes. He did a great job following the instructions to make the batter (no he didn't use Bisquick). He even was pretty clean with putting them on the griddle and flipping them. Overall, I was quite impressed with his ability. He loved it and said, "I want to make breakfast every Saturday from now on." We'll see how long this enthusiasm lasts.

Another thing he's enthusiastic about is his favorite shirt. He LOVES this tie-dye shirt and would wear it every day if I let him. To make things even better, his favorite pants to wear with it are camouflage. What a combo! Here is another picture of him in his favorite shirt (next to a picture he drew of Link from the Nintendo 64 game Zelda, one of his favorites).

I started thinking well, how long could this last, only until he grows out of the shirt, right? Then I thought of my own favorite shirt as a child. I had two that I could really remember. I couldn't find a picture of the first one, but my family will probably remember it. I was 2 or 3 when I wore it. It was a pink shirt with a yellow tweedybird on it, and I wore it with white shorts. It just disappeared one day (mom?).
My next favorite was this red/blue/yellow striped shirt. I LOVED this shirt. Here is a picture of me wearing it when I was 5 years old.

And here is a picture of me STILL wearing it when I was 10 years old! It's a bit small, can you tell? I remember my mom trying to convince me that I had grown out of it, but I just couldn't part with it.

By the way, if you can't see the calf in this picture, I'm bottle feeding one of my many pet calves I had growing up. This happens to be the calf that I thought I would outsmart my dad with by taking it running up and down the street and pasture. I thought if I kept it skinny, then they wouldn't want to butcher it. Little did I know that I was making nice lean meat!
__________________________
Now back to Zachary's tie-die shirt and wondering how long this 'favorite' could last. I can only imagine if I wore my favorite shirt for 5 years, it could be a very long time before he outgrows this shirt. I think I could be okay with that, on one condition. . .that his enthusiasm for cooking outlasts the shirt, AND that he learns to cook more than just pancakes. =)
5 comments:
that is to cute!! I love it. You may not be the biggest shirt fan, but look at all the fun memories you have with your favorite shirt!! Its quite the onsombo! (SP)
Its all to cute. I LOVE IT!!!
Krista,
Cute post. I remember you wearing that shirt at some of our reunions! How funny! It looks like Zachary has the same color picks as you did in your favorite shirt...Coincidence, I don't think so! :)
Misty
FIVE years out of one shirt?! I'm impressed. I for one like Zachary's style- a bit of a "free spirit" in him. :) Tell him he can come cook over at the Hadley's anytime. We LOVE pancakes and I imagine his rates aren't to steep at this age. lol.
right on Zachary! You gotta love the style of a boy! :)
So dang funny! My best friend forever had some PJ pants that she just couldn't part with. They had little ribbon overall straps, which she cut off when they got too tight. She got nearly a decade of mileage out of those pants - starting at her ankles and winding up as knee length capris. And my brother has his school picture taken in the same shirt four years in a row. Last one was a tad tight in the pits...
Post a Comment