Friday, February 12, 2010

Sick Little Guy

I have a lot in February to catch up on, but for now I'm posting a quick update on Ethan. He's been sick since Sunday with a fever of 102. I knew he wasn't feeling well when he would just lay there and watch Baby Songs.Because he hasn't been nursing regularly I developed double mastitis and became extremely sick on Thursday. I was able to get antibiotics and Ethan's fever was finally gone Thursday (or so we thought) and he seemed to be getting better. However, Thursday night he had a really rough night. He was moving all around crying, we couldn't console him, we couldn't make him comfortable, he didn't want to be held, but he didn't not want to be held, and with my mastitis it was even harder and an uncomfortable night for both of us. I tried to let Jon get his rest as he was up late studying for another CPA exam that he has this Saturday. I figured Ethan had an ear infection and I knew he had a yeast infection and figured my antibiotics might be bothering him too. By morning it seemed he had lost all energy and was listless. It all just didn't seem right so I called his pediatrician and set up an appointment. After I got Hailey out the door, I set him down for a minute. When I came back in the room he had fallen asleep. . .sitting up. I tried to wake him and picked him up and he still was unresponsive. I was glad I had already scheduled with his doctor to come in, so I put him in the car and headed in. We spent 3 1/2 hours at the doctor today. He has bronchiolitis and tested positive for RSV. He also has a double ear infection and a flaming yeast infection. This poor little guy is beyond miserable. He was still quite unresponsive and his oxygen levels were a little low. After undressing him to weigh him, checking his diaper rash, checking his ears, and listening to his lungs, he opened his eyes a little but was still pretty limp. We gave him a breathing treatment with the nebulizer. This put him out again, which supposedly it's supposed to do the opposite and make them a little hyper. About 10 minutes later his body broke out into a rash and his fever jumped from 99 to 102. It was a flat rash so they didn't think it was an allergic reaction, but something viral. They gave him Benedryl anyway and the rash went away. They're still trying to figure that out. They went back and forth about whether to hospitalize him or not. They worried about dehydration since I had mastitis, plus watching his oxygen levels, and his lethargy, and figuring out the rash. However, after much discussion they decided to give him an antibiotic shot rather than oral antibiotics for his ear infections because they didn't want to exacerbate the yeast infection. Then administered some Motrin for the fever and gave us prescriptions for Albuteral for his lungs and Nystatin for his bottom. They let us come home to treat him, with instructions to head straight to the hospital if anything changed or seemed off. We have to take him back in tomorrow to be evaluated to see if the nebulizing treatments are helping. I think we are running a small pharmacy of our own here.

Here's his first nebulizer treatment at home. He was a little more awake this time and gave less resistance, but soon settled into it.Sweet, sweet little boy. Hopefully we'll all have a better night.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor little guy! Hope he feels real soon! That's the pits.

Erika said...

Oh so scary! We had our 2nd hospitalized for RSV when she was 3 months old. You both must be miserable. I hope you both get better soon.

Marlaina said...

Poor Ethan! Hope everyone feels better soon. (And by the way, we have that same Baby Songs video. It's one of Alyssa's favorites!)

Kristy E.B. said...

How awful!! I so hope he gets better soon--I can't believe how many things his body is having to deal with right now. No fun!

runningfan said...

Oh! What a hard week! You've been on my mind a lot...I assumed it was because of Candace's birthday. Sorry I didn't call. Wish I could come help. Mastitis is the worst...but it sounds like the least of your worries. Good luck!

Rachel said...

What a week! I'm so sorry and I'm glad relief has arrived!