Thursday, March 11, 2010
Shaylin got contacts
Shaylin's eyes have been progressively getting worse the last 2+ years. We've had to get her prescription changed every 4-6 months with significant vision changes each time. The eye doctor was anxious to have her try gas permeable hard contact lenses to see if it will help slow the decline of her eyesight. Studies have gone back and forth the past 10 years regarding whether or not this really helps. We felt it was worth a try. Hard lenses are much harder to adjust to than soft lenses. They make it feel as if small grains of sand are stuck in your eyes. Your eyelid eventually forms a callous on the inside, so that the lenses are no longer an irritant for the eyes. There are many adults who struggle to adjust to hard lenses and sometimes give up. I wear gas permeable hard contact lenses and have since I was 15. I remember how painful they were to adjust to. I was worried for Shaylin because she's so young, but she took to them like a champ. Hardly a complaint at all. She even was pretty comfortable putting them in and taking them out.
Here she is popping them in for the first time at the eye doctor 1 week ago.
She has now been wearing them for a week and is doing great at getting them out and in. She loves having her face clear of glasses, especially when holding her baby brother who loved to grab at her glasses. Here's to hoping this plan works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How fun! I also wear hard contacts, but it took me weeks to learn how to get them out. That's impressive that she's doing so well with them--hopefully they help her eyesight from continually getting worse!
Krista, she reminds me so much of you in these pictures! She is so grown up!
Wow, I thought the first picture was of you a few years back and Whitney now. Shaylin does look like you! So exciting to go to contacts!
Way to go, Shaylin!
Ah she's so grown up!!! I've been wearing contacts for about a year and a half and still don't have the hang of it :P. I was at the eye doc the same day as some 7th grader, and he popped his right in while I sweated and fussed and fretted for 45 minutes, by which point they were so smudged up I couldn't even see through them. Lately I find that I only wear them a couple days a week at most.
Post a Comment