Of course you know by now that Hailey keeps us all laughing around here. She came home from school today and showed me a penny and the following conversation took place.Hailey: Mom, do you see these words on here (e pluribus unum).
Me: Yes.
Hailey: We learned about them today. They're in pig latin.
Me: Did you learn anything else about those words?
Hailey: Yes, but I can't remember what.
Me: Did you learn what they mean?
Hailey: Yes, but I don't remember that either, I just remember that they're in pig latin.
Me: It's actually called Latin, just plain Latin, not pig latin, and it means out of many, one. Our founding fathers wanted to form a single nation from a collection of states, that's kind of what that phrase means.
Hailey: Oh, (thoughtful pause) I liked it better when it was pig latin.
Not sure exactly what she meant by that, but it's always interesting to me to hear what things my kids are absorbing from their teachers at school. For some reason, I don't think the lesson today was very effective, from her teacher or myself. =)
2 comments:
Never a dull moment with this lovely lady!
I appreciated your latin lesson!
Post a Comment