Sunday, December 28, 2008

Chicken Coop

I've been wanting to get me some chickens for about a year now. As a friend put it so nicely, "you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl." While my parents were here in December my dad and I built a chicken coop. We won't be getting chicks 'til spring, but I welcomed the help building this while I had it. Besides, we kind of have a busy spring planned, what with a new little baby and all. Shaylin and Hailey had fun painting primer on the chicken coop with Grandma.
Just had to show how much JoJo warmed up to Grandma. Even cuddling up under her fleece pullover for a little snooze.
Shaylin helping Grandpa with the framing for the chicken run.
Me finishing up the chicken run.
The finished product. Complete with the side nest, where the chickens will lay their eggs and the kids can lift the lid to gather the eggs. We made two roofs. The usual one is a skylight roof to let in more light (not pictured), but with a lot more snow on the way, I left the flat wood roof on to protect it. Now I just need to wire a light socket into it, so the chickens will continue to lay, even in the winter.
Then the snow began to fall. Probably a good thing we don't have the chickens this winter.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Great coop!
We raised lurkeys one year - the chicken/turkey cross. I'm not sure if that was their real name, but that's what Dad called them.

We raised them all summer and harvested them in the fall (they weren't any good for laying). I had to go put my head under my pillow while Dad was beheading them.

We had an acre yard back then. I can just imagine the racket these guys are going to make every morning! Hehe.

Carroll Conversations said...

Hopefully no racket from these chickens. If I get any roosters, they'll be donated to a local farm. I only want hens. We'll see how it goes :)

runningfan said...

We'll have to enjoy your chicks from afar. My boys have a life of living vicariously, pet-wise, ahead of them. Go you for bein' a better mama!

Hoppers said...

I have a friend who has chickens, over by Imlay school. They can offer advice if you need any. They accidentally got a rooster (it's hard to tell when they are young!) and kept him. When he died, the neighbors were sad because they missed his morning calls! Go figure...

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

This is crackin' me up that you are ACTUALLY getting chickens! Some of my funnest memories are of going down to help you with your animals...although, I was pretty scared of them...no idea why!

It's good to see your parents on the blog! I haven't seen them in years!

-Beth Ann

The Hadley Family said...

CHICKENS?!?!?! You rock Krista! :D

Jaimey said...

That makes me giggle. I had a friend who was running a farm and had to leave suddenly (long story) with her 40 sheep, 4 horses, 1 dog, 4 cats and 10 chickens. Somehow out of that mix I ended up with 5 of the 10 chickens, in downtown Hillsboro. Um ya. Nice. I remember calling zack and asking him to build the coop by the time I got home from Eastern Washington. there was a pause and a quiet "chickens?" from the other end. Still makes me giggle.

2 ended up being roosters (of the 3 babies) Good luck!

Melissa said...

Wow! Chicks and a baby! You are brave and as always inspirational to me!

The McClellan Clan said...

dang girl, I'm impressed. It turned out awesome, and is probably the cutest chicken coop I've ever seen!! How fun. You'll love the eggs. Its so fun always seeing whats out there, and it NEVER gets old. its like a present everyday, cause you don't know if you'll get 1,2,3,4, or more. Have fun!

John and Misty said...

Loved seeing your blog--we finally got high speed internet so I could get updated. Your home is beautiful! I especially love the chicken coop. That is awesome! HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!!!!
Love ya, Mushy

Julie Moore said...

You are one brave girl!! I like the country, too, but I'm to whimpy to take in any country animals. You go!! I bet the kiddos loved helping with the building, painting, etc. Great family projects :-)!!