Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cake Pops

These are supposed to be little yellow chicks. =P
Jon's is on the left, mine is on the right.

We learned about cake pops from Bakerella. She has a way of making all her creations seem so easy! HA! I don't think she has "helpers" in her kitchen with her. They were definitely fun to make, even if ours don't look as professional as hers.
First you crumble up a regular cake.
Next mix in frosting with the cake and mush it all together. You can tell from Shaylin's expression what this feels like.
Then you roll the cake and frosting into balls. Dip a lollipop stick into a little melted chocolate and insert halfway into the cake ball. Put them in the freezer to harden up a bit. Then melt chocolate candy melts (we used yellow lemon flavored ones) and dip the cake pops into them. Before the chocolate hardens put on embellishments. We used flower shaped sprinkles for the hands and feet, and orange chocolate covered sunflower seeds for the nose. Place the lollipop stick into styrofoam to harden. After the chocolate has hardened use an edible marker and draw eyes, or in my family's case, a mustache, beard, hair, ears, glasses, etc. Now watch out for what happens next. . .
Yep, they disappear right before your eyes.
We also tried making little apples out of the cake pops. I only had white candy melts and yellow. I couldn't get a true red color with food coloring, the green came out a little blueish, but the yellow worked fine since that was the color of the candy melts. For the stem I used an end of a pretzel stick, and a green chocolate covered sunflower seed for the leaf. Bakerella's are much cuter. She has some cheesecake pops that sound ever so tempting. Halloween is coming, maybe in October we'll try some pumpkin and ghost cheesecake pops. Yum!

3 comments:

runningfan said...

Oh my. Even though I can't handle my life, I might have to make these!!

Jaimey said...

I love me some cake pops! :)

JulSH said...

My, aren't you a crafty mama! What a fun idea! Might have to give them a try.