We started the day with putting a fork in their cereal. Because it was hidden under the cereal they didn't notice until after they took a bite. I stuck little bits of dried prunes (I was out of raisins) on their toothbrushes, looked like little bugs. I then started to comb/brush their hair, but used a fork instead. Sleepy as they were, they caught on within a couple of strokes. I took Shaylin's and Jon's glasses and cut out black construction paper the shape of their lenses and taped them on to them. Therefore, rendering them "blind" when they put their glasses on their nose. After Jon was gone to work, the kids gone to school, and Hailey off to preschool, I didn't have anyone to prank for a little while. When Hailey returned I served her lunch.
Dinner was a little more challenging, but still just as fun. Mashed potatoes and gravy, with cooked carrots.
Zachary does not like cooked carrots--hence the face I caught with the camera. This was of course before he even tried them.
Finally, he relaxed and tried them and found it to be vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce, and dried mango-pineapple bits for carrots. Yes, they got to have dessert first! Which leaves us with dinner still, right?
Or is it more dessert?
Nope, it's dinner. Meatloaf with pink mashed potatoes. Thanks to familyfun.com for the recipes and ideas.
I was content with being done with the pranks for the day, but I had prepared one more. However, because it was getting late and the kids were tired I was going to skip it and not bring it up. Then it happened, Shaylin came down after showering and asked me to brush through her hair, the letter was sitting there on the table with the other mail, and she thought it was her report card and opened it and read it while I brushed her hair.
Well, it wasn't her report card. I had typed up a letter to resemble one from our school district 'informing' us of a change in the school year schedule. It stated that we would now be on year round school, with no summer break, and only minimal breaks throughout the year (not your typical year round school). This brought immediate tears on for Shaylin, which brought Zachary from the other room and immediate tears and wails of unfairness and injustice in the world, which brought Jon downstairs to read the letter. It felt like 30 minutes had passed by, when it was actually maybe 60 seconds of me holding it in just long enough to get Jon good. I hadn't really been able to prank him much all day. I held out long enough and he began rereading the letter, and then I told the kids how I thought it was odd for this letter to arrive today of all days. Shaylin then proceeded to tell me that the school would never pull this mean of a prank and that she was sure it was true. {Insert enormous guilty feeling on mom here} There were more wails of, "How could they take away our summer?" Then Hailey saying, "we should write them a letter and tell them they can't do this!"
I finally fessed up and told them that no, the school wouldn't pull this mean of a prank, but their mom would! I did feel terrible for making them cry. I was expecting them to give me the TNF statements (that's not fair), but I didn't expect tears. Once the joke was realized they thought it was pretty good and wanted to share it with friends, but they'll have to wait until next year. It's time for bed and I'm out of pranks. . .well I have one more up my sleeve for Jon, just a little bit of dried prune in the end of the toothpaste tube. At least the kids won't be complaining this year that I forgot April Fools day!
I was content with being done with the pranks for the day, but I had prepared one more. However, because it was getting late and the kids were tired I was going to skip it and not bring it up. Then it happened, Shaylin came down after showering and asked me to brush through her hair, the letter was sitting there on the table with the other mail, and she thought it was her report card and opened it and read it while I brushed her hair.
I finally fessed up and told them that no, the school wouldn't pull this mean of a prank, but their mom would! I did feel terrible for making them cry. I was expecting them to give me the TNF statements (that's not fair), but I didn't expect tears. Once the joke was realized they thought it was pretty good and wanted to share it with friends, but they'll have to wait until next year. It's time for bed and I'm out of pranks. . .well I have one more up my sleeve for Jon, just a little bit of dried prune in the end of the toothpaste tube. At least the kids won't be complaining this year that I forgot April Fools day!
11 comments:
Wow, you are hilarious. Garry and I both decided we're holding off on pranks at our house until the boys are old enough to realize they can only pull them once a year. We're probably off the hook for life!
This is hilarious! :D I want to live at your house. The worm is DISGUSTING!!!
that is awesome !! You did great!! Ya I'm the boring mom that didn't do anything, but totally wished I would have!! GREAT JOB!! Its okay they cried, I know they loved it after the fact!!
You are awesome!
Holy cow!! You are GOOD! I love the meatloaf dinner. That was great! But the letter...now that takes teh cake! :-) You're creating family memories! I'll have to start creating some myself next year.
I have never liked April Fools day. Maybe I didn't like being tricked so my poor kids have to put up with a boring mom!
I did answer Kevin (from Gilbert) with a letter from AZ allstate chior that he had to re-tryout unless he took me to prom that night...remember :) BOY that was a long time ago!
That is great! You are such a fun mom! I tried to explain to Bryce what April Fool's is but he didn't seem to get it so I think I'll wait 1 more year...:)
Those are great pranks. My favorites are the wet paint and letter from school. I'm totally using that next year.
You ROCK!! I love the "pea pods". And the letter from the school. I'm going to be coming back to this post next year so that I can pull off more than one trick :).
You were busy! I am horrible and trying to plan almost anything but especially at that sort of thing! Thanks for all the ideas! :)
Awesome pranks. I can never think of any good ones, so we do a different tradition. Each of us gets a dollar, and we all go to the grocery store to buy something for dinner. We come home and prepare what we bought, and we try to keep it a secret until it's ready to go on the diner table. Then we all eat dinner and laugh about it the whole meal. Doesn't have anything to do with April Fool's Day, does it?
Maybe I can use your pranks next year.
Post a Comment