Zach loves his pogo stick and I love the energy he burns on it. His current record of consecutive jumps is 1,231.
Through My Son's Eyes
I had a great conversation with my son today. He loves to go in and play random songs on the piano, and is always making up his own stuff too. He's really getting quite good at it. Today he went through many of the music books we have around here and found what he thought was the hardest one (which is the last level in the Bastien series books =). Then he brought it to me and asked if I could play it. I sat down and began playing it for him. He would turn page after page in the book asking me to play. After a while we had a conversation that went like this:
Zach: Mom, you’re so good at the piano. You should go on tour.
Mom: Well, I’m not good enough to be a touring concert pianist.
Zach: Mostly concert pianists are boys, but you could definitely do it mom, even though you’re not a boy.
Mom: Thanks Zach, but if I had chosen to do that, I wouldn’t be able to be your mom.
Zach: You wouldn’t?
Mom: Well, if I was touring the world, I couldn't be here to take care of you and make your meals and tuck you into bed? I wouldn’t get to be home very much.
~Long pause while he's thinking about this~
Zach: I guess you’re right. I’d rather have you be my mom. Maybe you can be a touring mom someday when us kids are older.
Mom: Maybe, and maybe after I've practiced another 50 years!
I love the confidence my kids have in me, even if it isn't very realistic. I know someday in the near future, the way he views me will be very different. Unfortunately, the teenage years tend to make them believe that their mom and dad's abilities have disappeared. I'll hang on to being idolized for a bit longer thank you very much.
3 comments:
I know what you mean! My boys always tell me I'm a great cook!! And I can't cook ANYTHING harder than Macaroni and Cheese. (And I'm talking about the microwave kind...easymac!!)
No baby? Seriously!? When is the official due date?
This Tuesday, May 5th is the official due date. According to my ticker, I've got 3 days.
Just shows that you set the example by believing in them. That's the kind of mom you are. I love the "touring mom". That might be fun...oh wait, that's like "nanny".
I love seeing comments from my current neighbors on the blogs of my previous neighbors.
Post a Comment